Ready to Find Employment?

Investigations & Fraud


Allen County Job and Family Services takes allegations of public assistance fraud very seriously. We are committed to fighting fraud in our community, but we need your help.

How to Report Fraud

If you suspect fraud in Medicaid, Food Assistance, Ohio Works First (including cash assistance and workforce development programs), or Child Care, please fill out this form or report it to (419) 228-2120.  If you leave a voicemail, one of our investigators will follow up on your complaint.



How to report Welfare Fraud in Allen County

Verify Self-Employment Income

  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 to obtain an Official Tax transcript for the year in question and by completing the self-employment questionnaire.
  • Once completed, please submit to the Allen County Investigations Unit by:

Where is my Tax Refund?

Tips for keeps your SNAP EBT and Cash Cards SAFE

What is happening?
According to the Federal Food and Nutrition Service, Ohio is among a number of states being targeted by criminals stealing Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. This is known as skimming. In skimming, criminals use a device placed over a point-of-sale card reader that steals information from payment cards like SNAP EBT and cash assistance cards. This means SNAP or cash assistance benefits could be stolen without you knowing.


What steps should I take to help stop this?
You do NOT need to ask for a new card. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services suggests these steps for anyone using a SNAP or cash assistance card.

  • Take the time now to change the personal identification number (PIN) for your EBT or cash cards.
  • Change your PIN monthly, before each scheduled benefit deposit.
  • You may want to change your PIN after making an online purchase using an EBT or cash card and PIN.
  • Never share the EBT or cash card number or PIN if asked for through an email, text message, or over the phone.
  • Carefully look at any card reader before using your card: Skimming devices can be placed over the card reader. Check if a reader sticks out or doesn’t seem secure.
  • When using your card, cover the keypad with your body or hand to stop someone from seeing your PIN. Scammers sometimes try to get your PIN by watching from a distance.
  • Check your EBT balance regularly, and monitor your transaction history.
  • Report any duplicate or unauthorized transactions immediately.
  • Immediately report your card if it is lost, no longer working, stolen, or if you notice anything unusual.
  • Do not respond to social media posts, email, or text messages that ask you to enter your EBT card number and PIN to resolve issues or get extra funds.
  • Never click on links that you receive through texts or emails unless it comes from a known, reliable, and expected source.


How do I change my PIN?
You can change your PIN by logging into your online account at for SNAP or for cash cards. You can also call 1-866-386-3071 for SNAP or 1-866-320-8822 for cash cards and follow the prompts to change your PIN.

What do I do if I think my benefits were stolen?
If you believe your benefits were stolen, change the EBT or cash PIN number right away. Then ask for a new EBT or cash card by calling 1-866-386-3071 for SNAP or 1-866-320-8822 for cash cards. Notify your local County Department of Job and Family Services and file a theft report with your local law enforcement agency. Contact information for your local JFS may be found at


ODJFS will be taking measures to reach our recipients through text messaging, robo calls and updating the Ohio Benefits self-service portal bringing awareness of best practices of protecting the EBT/EPC card.

These best practices can be found at: Tips-for-keeping-your-SNAP-EBT-and-Cash-cards-safe.stm

Rights and Reporting Responsibilities

Program enrollment and benefit information booklet

Contact Us

Please use the following information to contact us regarding fraud and/or investigations:

Hotline: (419) 228-2120

Fax: (419) 999-0266